Hello from Singapore!

The door is closed on Australia but the blog is not - I owe several entries still. It became a little burdensome writing as my only internet connection was in my bed which I just couldn't stand to be in for more than my 4 hours of sleep :-p

I'm in the Singapore Airport, a spectacular airport full of shops, restaurants, free areas for computer games, PS3, movies; there are pictures of Brad Pitt and Tiger Woods everywhere and everybody knows I'm American - maybe it's the Barak Obama book in my hand.

The flight was pleasant apart from the fact that in business class the seat in front of me is so far away I strain my back a little reaching for the wine list. I was up at 4:30am, at the airport at 5:15 and we took off before the Celtics game started and by the time we landed the 17th banner was already hoisted to the rafters!!! I just found that out - the Boston bar called O'Leary's here was quite authentic except that they did not have Sam Adams Lager, nobody was wearing green, and nobody knew about the basketball game.

The New Bedford guys in A Wilhelm Scream, (Nuno Pereira, Trevor Reilly, and Nick Angelini) had a flight from Perth after a totally rocking show at the HQ landed in time to see the game if they weren't exhausted from their 3 month tour of Europe and Australia. It's amazing I had to travel 12,000 miles to see these guys live in a town where everybody ELSE at the show knew every single word to every single song. I own 2 of their 4 albums now, and a hoodie with the zipper on the wrong side. I'll write more about that later but it was crazy seeing some friends from a long time ago, a long ways away in Perth!

My first glimpse of Asia soil was remarkable. At about 500mph and 6000 feet we banked hard left and the blue sky above white clouds turned into a landscape that looks absolutely nothing like the US landscape I've flown over so many times. I'll write more about that too - I only have 3 minutes left in my internet session.

So, I'm going to take advantage of the gym here, the fact that US$1 is $1.30 here and buy some Bombay Sapphire at half price, grab some food and do some reading. I'm here for 5 hours and then I fly to Los Angeles, home of the loser Lakers (YES!!!) before continuing on for a weekend in Philly!!

See you all soon, (except for my friends reading in Italy, Germany, Australia, Brazil, etc - it'll be a little longer than soon)

Ev

Comments

Anonymous said…
I know exactly what u mean about the view flying into Singapore :) It's especially welcome when you have been sitting with your knees up to your ears for 6 hrs in Air Asia economy class! Haha! Pffft... Strain your back reaching for the wine list... 'tis a hard life!! :D

Popular Posts