Boston from 63 million feet




OK, I’m not in space, but still. I read Boston over the internet from 63 million feet (12,000 miles) away.

(I gotta learn to put my pencil down and publish, lets see how quick I can make this.)


(Borrowed from The Standells of course)
I’m going tell you a story,
I’m going to tell you about my town.
Down by the river,
Down by the banks of the River Charles
Cuz I love that dirty water!
Boston you’re my home!!


So, here's why Boston is my home.

I realized today that my clothes are still on Boston time. Yesterday, I got home from work about 7:30pm. Took a shower, changed clothes, got to a Brazilian Dance Party in Subiaco at 9pm (which is 9am in Boston). Hung out there until about 11:30, got home at midnight, slept, woke up at 6am (6pm in Boston), put on the same clothes and went to work. Should be an easy adjustment when I get back although my layover in Singapore is about the time I'm usually showering in Boston. Let's hope for the best.


Newsflash (yeah, I actually read this a long time ago, most of these entries are in my head for weeks): Bob Lobel retired?!?! Why can’t we get sportscasters like that? How can he retire THIS YEAR. C’s have been on the verge blowing an incredible season the since Game 3 in Atlanta and are now in the FINALS against the LAKERS (!!), Pats just blew an incredible season to that goofy little twirp Eli (well, and David Tyree’s helmet), Sox won 2 world series in 4 years, and even the Bruins made the playoffs (though I couldn't quite bother to even look up if they won that game 7 they were in).



Speaking of the Celtics, listening to them on the radio is great. Cedric Maxwell is crazy. Here’s some of the best quotes I’ve ever heard and this is only about 3 Celtics playoff games on the radio, and listening with a mere half an ear while at work:

"If you look around we’ve got Rob Lowe at the game tonight. Last year we could even get Rob Schneider." (That one was actually Sean Grande)

“Somebody get me a nail clipper, maybe two. This game is going to be a nail biter!”

“Well, Tommy’s (Heinson) not here calling the game so you gotta fill in.” “That’s what I just did. I’m calling these fouls before the refs. I already got in trouble for that. I gotta eat a piece of chocolate or something.”

“That is the way you can separate a shoulder. That is the way you can separate a shoulder in that way. I mean, he is LITERALLY in pain.”

“It is gloom and doom. I’ve said that on TV and Radio. This is the playoffs. One day you walk out of the locker room thinking you are the King of Scotland. Next thing you are from the poorest part of North Carolina. The King of Scotland. I don’t think there is a queen.”

On PJ Brown who just committed his 4th foul to go along with his 1 point and 2 rebounds: “PJ is just giving out fouls like it’s candy.” “PJ is the kinda house you want to come to for Halloween. That’s where you go at the end of the night. He’s the kind of house that just puts the bucket out and says take what you want. It’s a nightmare from a dentist standpoint.”

“Lebron James makes the first free throw. HEY!! YOU DIDN’T DESERVE THAT KING!!”

“So the Celtics are on the brink and Ray Allen makes what may be the rebound of the SERIES. Wow. Wow wow WOW… Wow. He gonna get a ‘quack’ for that one! QUACK!”

"There are two Rasheed Wallaces. One is the Incredible Hulk."

"I’ve been wondering about something lately. You are like the chick magnet. Every time a girl walks by, they tap you on the shoulder."

"It’s like Pip and Pop - Kevin Garnett knocking it down."

“DDDIIIINNNNGGG DOOONNNNGGG. Quack Quack Quack!!” “What can’t you do Max?” “You can’t leave the House!” “And apparently you can’t leave the (number 50 Eddie) House on the bench! Celtics by 8 after 3”

“Rondo for THREEEE” “Quack quack quack quack quack for Mr Rondo.”

“Rondo for THREEEE” “Wooop Wooop Wooop Wooooop! Somebody get me a napkin, I need to wipe my mouth!”


Final Countdown playing in the background, C’s up by 3 with about a minute to go. “I hate this music from Rocky.”




I was not able to get the Boston radio feed for 2 Celtics home games of the Detroit series over the internet. Game 2 gave me the Sox game and Game 5, on now (at the time I typed this note), is dead. I’m forced to listen to the Detroit feed. The announcer bias is great. I know it goes both ways, but George Blaha just went so far as to note that John Havlicek is sitting courtside and the ball, which just went into the stands, is WET and it COULD HAVE BEEN HIS COLA! As though this has benefitted the C’s. How dare he! Cedric Maxwell would have said the ghosts of Red Auerbach, Johnny Most, and Reggie Lewis conspired to wet the ball. He knows living legends are off limits.

I'm traveling back through Singapore and Los Angeles on June 18. I'll land in Philadelphia on the 19th for a weekend with my buds who will bring me back to Pittsfield on that Sunday the something or other. The timing is actually a big time zone misunderstanding - I thought the Sox were going to be in town but I messed up importing the Sox calendar into my Outlook because of the time zones, well long story, but the last game is the night before I arrive. We'll see the Phillies play the Angels on the 21st though.

One crazy note: A Wilhelm Scream is playing in Perth. They are from New Bedford. Nuno lived down the street from us for a few years, then went to Japan for 2 years I think. It'll be wild to see them here (considering I've never seen them in NB!) That's June 14th. Then The Mars Volta on the 17th before my 7am flight on the 18th.

Later,
Ev

Comments

LBFree said…
I had a quick email chat with Nuno before they went to Germany. He bought a wireless print server from me on eBay. Life is strange! Have you seen the website? Interesting bunch of New Bedford fellows.

Popular Posts